Saturday, July 9, 2011

Misplaced Desire?

 ”The same people who want sixty-minute worship services rent two-hour videos and watch NBA and NFL games that run even longer. The issue is not length, but appetite. Why the misplaced desire?” Jim Cymbala from Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire
After reading that quote you may be concerned that I am about to transform into “the grumpy old man” and jump up on the nearest soap-box and proclaim, “When I was your age, church services went for eight hours AND WE LOVED IT!” On the contrary, I have been in many lengthy services that left me feeling that the time would have been better spent ANYWHERE else. I have also been in services that lasted an hour or less that left me longing for more, and disappointed that it was time to go. I don’t want to address how long your worship service should be, but rather to address the question posed here by Pastor Cymbala. ”Why the misplaced desire?
“The issue is not length, but appetite.”  Let’s be real careful to understand exactly the issue we’re discussing. The issue is not denominational creed, but appetite.  The issue is not musical preference, but appetite. The issue is not the time constraints of my personal schedule, but appetite. The issue is not the pastor’s lack (or abundance) of education, but appetite. The issue is not the building program, but appetite. The issue is not Brother or Sister So-and-So, but appetite, etc., etc., etc.
With the list I have constructed in the paragraph above, you could easily and mistakenly assume that I am speaking of corporate worship alone, as if I am proposing that we become people who hide ourselves in the church, away from the world; or that we never take the time to enjoy the life God has given us. Am I saying we should never enjoy hobbies, engage in business, or spend time with our friends?  To be clear, let me say on the flip-side, the issue is not the NFL, the NBA, movies, TV, reading, social networking, music, quilting, board games, fishing, cooking, Sunday School, auto repair, your kids or grandkids, political activism, etc., …the issue is appetite. What do I desire?     
 In our naturally sinful state (without Jesus) we have only one way to relate to the bigger moral questions of life, and that is through religion, with all of its rules and regulations. We do this because we mistakenly believe it puts us in control of both ourselves and others. We feel that if we can live within the “thou shalts” and the “thou shalt nots” that we will be pleasing to God and free from sin’s grip on our lives. We replace the need for healthy appetites with a strict and oppressive diet of pre-packaged morality.
Jesus, however, was far less concerned about our rule-keeping and boiled everything down to getting our desire (appetites) pointed in the right direction.
 And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, "Which commandment is the most important of all?" Jesus answered, "The most important is, 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all  your mind and with all your strength.' The second is this 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these." Mark 12:28-31 ESV
“Love” is the greatest expression of desire. Jesus left no room for competing loyalties: “all your heart” (my emotions), “all your soul” (my will), “all your mind” (my thoughts), “all your strength” (the activities of my physical body). Because God loves others, they become part of the deal for us as well, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
Instead of making the issue about whether it’s O.K. to do this or that, or whether we should have longer church services or bigger offerings or more mission trips, we should spend our time and energy on one question, “What do I desire?”, or rather, “Whom do I desire?” If I would do this habitually, all other issues concerning the vibrancy of my worship, my entertainment choices, and my service to my fellow man would be resolved; swept away in a new wave of passionate love for the One who first loved me.
Who and what we desire is a major thing with God. God describes Himself in the Old Testament as a “jealous God” (Exodus 20:5, Deuteronomy 4:24; 5:9; 6:15, Joshua 24:19). Many of His judgments against the nation of Israel were for their “adultery” (see Jeremiah, Ezekiel, and Hosea for starters). Has this changed in the New Covenant? Consider James 4:4-5 (ESV) “You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God?  Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. Or do you suppose it is to no purpose that the Scripture says, ‘He yearns jealously over the spirit that he has made to dwell in us’.”
In the 1970’s, the late Keith Green caused quite a stir among the religious with his song, To Obey is Better than Sacrifice. In the lyrics he states, speaking in the first person as the Father:
To obey is better than sacrifice. I want more than Sundays and Wednesday nights. ‘Cause if you can’t come to me every day, then don’t bother coming at all.


Ouch! It may sound harsh, but I believe that God’s standard throughout scripture is crystal clear. He has no interest in being an accessory…a mere piece of jewelry that we wear to make us feel important or impress our snobby, religious friends. No. He is worthy of my longing, my desire, my hunger.
The good news is that God wants to help us in our weakness. Ask the Holy Spirit to examine your heart. Boldly ask him to show you where you have desired other things, perhaps even set up idols (these can be anything that demands more of your attention than you devote to the Father. We all have them at one time or another) and He will do it. Most of all, stop rationalizing your idolatry and adultery! It’s time to kick the lovers named “Stuff” and “Status” out of our beds! If we will determine to do this, God will help us.  In fact, the Holy Spirit is our only hope. If we have any chance of seeing our lives transformed, swept clean and idol-free, it is only through His illumination and assistance…
 …but be ready to get honest, because if you ask, he WILL show you what stands in the way and expect you to remove it.

2 comments:

  1. Good writing, thanks for the reminder...I think sometimes we forget to check ourselves daily for these type things, because we rest in knowing our salvation is secure. But our position in Christ doesn't mean we magically don't sin anymore or that our desires are somehow all holy now...but because of our flesh we fool ourselves into thinking that way...I once heard a preacher say that we should keep a sin journal...write down all your sins, and you will notice that you sin less and less, and then one day you will see that you haven't sinned in months...REALLY. Needless to say, I didn't grab my pen and paper. Anyway, I really have enjoyed the writings, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that would be a very discouraging list for me Kari! "And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross. He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in him. Colossians 2:13-15

    ReplyDelete