Saturday, June 25, 2011

Don't Spoil Your Dinner!

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." Matthew 5:6 ESV

Oftentimes a glimpse into the intimate communication of another requires the benefit of some context, What I mean is this: If I were to find myself in the position of being the proverbial "fly on the wall" during a private conversation between you and your spouse, you and you child, or you and your best friend, though I heard all of your words, that would by no means insure that I would comprehend all of your meaning. Conversation with those with whom we share the greatest intimacy is filled, as we all know, with subtle nuance, blatant "inside" humor, etc., as well as the usual lack of any kind of set-up or historical review of what was previously said ("I'm saying this because of last month when I said...") that is so necessary when sharing things with someone with whom we do not share such intimacy. If I am intimately in relationship with another person there is almost never a reason to preface my comments with "I've always felt that..." or "I truly believe that..." because the very nature of intimacy has already invited the other person into the realm what I feel and believe.

I feel compelled to make this clear because in my previous post, I shared intimate feelings that to the doctrinal "hawks" (among whom so often I find myself) may appear to be weak theology. For example, I know that nothing "will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord (Romans 8:39 ESV)." I also do not subscribe to a line of thinking that makes my eternal salvation a matter of constant insecurity; that every wayward thought or misdeed jeopardizes my standing with the Father. On the contrary, I am convinced that by the work of Christ Jesus I am saved "to the uttermost (Hebrews 7:25)" and that no one can snatch me from His hand (John 10:28).

The "flip side" however, is this: my sin that I struggle with, or, more insidiously, that I willingly toy with, does diminish my ability to enjoy intimate connection with the Father; not positionally, but definitely functionally. It is this that my previously posted parable was addressing. The blog is called "Growing Hungry" because I believe that "hunger" is a condition I rarely find myself in as it concerns righteousness and relationship with the Father. I further contend that sin is the primary source of "empty calories" that keeps me from feasting on the Lord Jesus (see John chapter 6). Religion is another source of spiritual junk food, but that post is coming later.

People who really hunger for what Jesus offers can't afford to "spoil their dinner". Come to the table. Come often and come hungry.

6 comments:

  1. "This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin." 1 John 1:5-7

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good blog Marcus. I agree 100%, Christ our savior is responsible for keeping his sheep safe. That of course, does not release us of our call and duty to our walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marc good to hear from you. Hope all is well. Good writing. I'm told I need to blog but I barely have time for my "life". Miss seeing you guys. Still love you.

    Leonard Brannon
    Dallas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very eloquently put Marc . Great writing! I appreciate the realism of your life that you convey.

    Kristi Latham

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kristi! I appreciate the encouragement! Good to hear from you too, Leonard! We love you guys as well and think of you often!

    ReplyDelete