Friday, June 24, 2011

"We Have Met the Enemy and He is Us." Pogo (via Walt Kelly)

Through a crowd of people I press. Obstacles in my way to keep me from Him. Is that Him? I caught just a glimpse and heard only a whisper. 

"Move! Make way!", I shout, "I must touch the Master! I want to be HEALED!"   

But they don't move. The swirling mob grows deeper, more expansive, and the distance between the Master and I ever greater. Desperation gives way to panic as the crowd becomes less a passive barrier and more and more an active and agressive resistance. Shoving. Pushing back. Blocking my path. Obstructing my view of my deepest Desire.

"Where did they come from?", I wonder. Few become many and many become many more. So many! But the horror grows not from the vast numbers of these enemies who would keep me from my Hope and Love, but rather from the image of their faces...for every face is mine.

There I am with a lustful, leering gaze. Here I am with a haughty look of pride. Over there I am blind with rage and void of compassion. Here I stumble along, barely awake, lazy and apathetic. There I stand with shifty, deceitful eyes, waiting to manipulate another. 

Lost. The many faces of the one man have become a sea so wide that I can no longer see Him. The lying, shouting, seducing voices so loud that I can no longer hear Him. 

"Are you still here? Can you silence the mob? Shout to me so that I can find you! Better yet, can you just slay them all - scatter their ashes on the wind- so that we can be alone? Yes, they are me, but I need YOU! Rescue me from the suffocating press of my own making!"

8 comments:

  1. Breathtakingly stunning, a smash hit, Tom Hanks properly interprets human sorrow, two thumbs way up... er uh... wrong blog, but seriously this story demonstrates a throrough understanding of grace through the eyes of a human. I recommend this blog for anyone wanting to grow deeperin their relationship with the Father

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Curt! I'm glad you're around to encourage me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't typically get involved in theology discussions - my brain just doesn't work that way. This grabbed my heart though. It's an incredible word picture of the sanctification process for all of us, if we're honest about it. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Thanks for inviting me to "listen in" on your very intimate conversation with our Abba, our Heavenly Daddy!

    And again I say "wow!".

    ReplyDelete
  5. well said, Marcus... I like the post content, the honesty/candor and the balance of deep theology with a lay-man's conversational dialogue. I will return for future blog posts

    you sent out a text requesting 'input'?

    Critiqueing others' writings/art is risky because we are ALL so different and what looks 'odd' to me may well be what blesses the hound of another brother/sister.

    However, I think you know me well enough to know this is offered only for consideration... apply only if it rings true to you and others concur.

    Only comment would be the blog text paragraphs are a bit long... consider breaking up the posts into smaller bits/paragraphs so folks can read and comprehend and allow the idea to soak in... before they read too much and lose some of what you are trying to say.

    Of course, anyone who works with me knows I never write short notes... so though I break up my writings into pieces, my bag of skittles is always the 'family size' and can be too much as well! :-)

    love you brother/cuz!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's exactly what I was looking for Brian so thanks! I tend to get rolling and don't stop to take breaths...Also, "input" may have been a wrong word, I wasn't so much seeking affirmation as much as common experience. Trying to gather a community of the equally hungry. Thanks for checking it out. Blessings...

    ReplyDelete